Think stretching is just for yogis? Think again. Today I’m sharing with you the 5 Reasons to Start Stretching today.
Studies have shown that incorporating a few minutes of stretching into your morning routine can have lasting benefits. Many times, we don’t get to go to the gym, or do a home workout because we either have to go to work, or to school, or take care of kids. But how about a quick stretch? Try stretching for at least five minutes a day for one week and see how you feel. You’ll be amazed at how invigorating it is. Besides increasing flexibility, here are 5 reasons to start stretching.
1. Ever get those morning aches and pains and don’t know why? When you go to sleep each night, you are at rest for a period of time long enough for fluid to build up in your joints and spinal discs. Each morning do some stretching for a few minutes and it will relieve those morning pains.
2. Work a desk job? Stretching is highly beneficial for those of us that sit most of the day. Because your back muscles and chest muscles are overstretched from your seated position, poor posture is usually the result. Thankfully, stretching is the perfect cure for stiff necks and hunched backs.
3. Stretching increases blood flow to all parts of your body, but especially to the brain. It helps get that blood pumping which allows you to be more alert, concentrated, and have optimal performance.
4. Stretch your way to being stress-free! If you’ve been feeling depressed, overwhelmed, and stressed-out, chances are you need to start stretching more. Stretching has proven to be one of the best ways to relieve stress. Take time to slow down and get a good stretch in. It only takes a few minutes, but you’ll be shocked at how good you feel.
5. Are you the type of person that can’t function without their morning coffee? Although there’s nothing like a cup of joe, morning stretches can help stimulate your brain and give you that morning boost. Stretching increases energy levels, so get in a good stretch while your coffee is brewing.