I’ve got a surprise for you! Today I’m sharing my interview with The Real Life RD.
There are so many amazing bloggers that I really respect and admire. One of those bloggers is Robyn from the Real Life RD. I’ve been following her blog for years now, and her passion for healthy living and love for God are so refreshing. Since I’ve enjoyed her blog for quite a while, I thought it would be so fun to do an interview with The Real Life RD. I can’t wait for you to get to know her better. I hope you enjoy this interview, and don’t forget to check out her awesome blog: The Real Life RD
1. If you had to choose one individual who has greatly inspired or influenced you, who would it be?
The biggest influences in my life are the women in my church, especially those in my Bible study. You’re probably thinking..why didn’t she say her mom?! My mom is a HUGE part of my life, and we are best friends. My momma is my hero. She raised five kids as a single parent on a teacher’s salary and has taught me so much about life. Even though she’s 600 miles away, I look to her for wisdom, and she is my biggest encourager. But when I think about the women in my life who are influencing me, its the women I live my day to day life with. I’m so grateful to be surrounded by such loving, understanding, wise, witty, and big-hearted ladies who not only hold me accountable, encourage and support me, but also influence the way I live my life- they’ve taught me to be more gentle, self-less, bold, and forgiving.
2. Have you felt that maintaining a healthy lifestyle has been difficult? What do you find most challenging in living a healthy lifestyle?
Overall, I would say maintaining a healthy lifestyle is much easier now than it was in college- but really, I wouldn’t say it has been that difficult, simply because nothing is an absolute. I think we can tend to look at food legalistically, when really we should be seeing it as something that’s very flexible. We won’t always be in a situation where there is a plethora of fruits and veggies or vegetarian options or whole grains and that’s the 10%. The other 90% of the time I try to eat well and nourish my body with foods that will give me energy, and the other 10% of the time I go with the flow, enjoy foods I wouldn’t make for myself and see it as just that- as food, not calories or 5 pounds or whatever. I think initially, a healthy lifestyle can be more difficult as you wean off the addictive, high-sugar, processed, unhealthy, fatty foods, but as your palate adjusts and you realize you have more energy, feel better, sleep better etc when you are eating better then you WANT to choose foods that make you feel good. For me, the most challenging thing is finding time to exercise. I LOVE to sweat, but my lifestyle is pretty busy so setting aside time to get in a workout can be challenging- lately I’ve been doing a lot of walking or running and hiking with friends, that way I can socialize and get some exercise too!
3. Do you believe that there is any one factor that is absolutely essential to beginning and maintaing a healthy lifestyle. If so, what do you consider to be the most important factor in living a healthy, balanced life?
Absolutely, you have to do it for YOU and for internal reasons- something more than just vanity. When we want to lead healthier lifestyles simply to lose x amount of pounds or “tone up” then it’s very easy to start to equate food with calories or with weight or numbers in general rather than seeing food as nourishment. And when we only see food as numbers, that is when an unhealthy relationship with food develops. Your intentions have to align with your values. You are much more likely to maintain a healthy lifestyle because you want to have more energy so you can invest in relationships better or play with your kids after school or sleep better than if you want to look better in a bathing suit or fit into a certain pant size.
4. How do you feel your blog has helped (or hindered) you in living a healthy life?
That’s a good question I had to think about for a bit. Since my blog isn’t necessarily set up like a food log where I share my daily eats, the way I eat hasn’t really changed. I would definitely say the blog has really helped me to be more in tune with my feelings and body and reflecting on those things in order to put them into words. A lot of times when I blog about touchy or “heavier” topics, it’s because I’ve been through something similar, learned from that and then decided to share that with my readers- so the blog has really taught me to be vulnerable and take time to sit down and reflect. In general though, seeing a lot of blogs that can be damaging and aren’t necessarily “healthy” has really made me aware of what is out there and how to spread a different message about true health.
5. The Bible is an endless source of inspiration and encouragement. Do you have a favorite Bible verse, or one that particularly inspires you?
A big thanks to Robyn for taking the time to answer all these questions. Is she amazing or what? Please be sure to check out her blog. She has so many powerful posts that are truly life-changing. She’s definitely been such a blessing in my life. Since I had a lot of questions for her, I broke up this interview into two parts. You can read the rest of her interview here.